Wednesday, October 22, 2008

EN SU SERVICIO

Today I got to stand in and be in the service of another. I was driving from one doctor's office to another heading west on I-40 when I see a VW Jetta on the side of the road and a woman standing outside on the phone. So instinctively I pulled off the highway and walked back to her car to ask her if she was ok and if she need some help. I asked her if she had a flat and she said she did. I said no problem I'll take care of it. When I got to the tire it wasn't just flat, it was annihilated... I found a picture that best represented what the tire looked like...


She says to me... "I probably should have pulled off sooner, but I didn't realize that I even had a flat" I looked at her and said, "but you were driving on the rim." I'm surprised she didn't get in an accident.

Well the incident isn't the reason for this post but more the meaning behind what one can learn through the incident.

What does it mean to be selfless? How about "devoted to others' welfare or interest and not one's own," How do we teach ourselves to be selfless though? Some of us our born with the innate sense of being selfless and the concern for the welfare of others. I like to think that I have these qualities but I do have to constantly think of how I can serve those around me.

"A selfless person is one who is more concerned about the happiness and well-being of another than about his or her own convenience or comfort, one who is willing to serve another when it is neither sought for nor appreciated, or one who is willing to serve even those whom he or she dislikes. A selfless person displays a willingness to sacrifice, a willingness to purge from his or her mind and heart personal wants, and needs, and feelings. Instead of reaching for and requiring praise and recognition for himself, or gratification of his or her own wants, the selfless person will meet these very human needs for others." (Peterson)

So I challenge everyone to look for those ways in which you can truly develop selflessness. When you wake up in the morning ask for those opportunities to serve, don't just ask for them, but when they are placed before you act on them. I will tell you this. When you server your fellow brothers and sisters you will be rewarded with things that can't be described. Remember though to remain humble in your service and to serve for the right purpose and not for the praise of man. Keep these experiences to yourself and learn from them. Teach yourself to always be concerned for others and to seek the opportunities to serve them.

5 comments:

Noelle said...

how kind of you Adam!!

Emily said...

Good thing you were driving by! Right place at the right time!

You are right, I could do a lot more good around me than I ever take the time to do. Thanks for the challenge!

Celeste Louise said...

First of all: Holy Deep. Thankyou.

Second: You are HILARIOUS! Thank you for your comments haha

Blake and Lacy said...

Adam, you're such a great guy! I'm really glad that I found your blog and like reading all of your thoughts on life!

paige and jord said...

hey A-dam. thanks for your funny comment on my blog.. i laughed HYSTERICALLY!i hope you're doing well!

-aren't some people retarted?