Wednesday, October 15, 2008

AS THE FOG CLEARS

Day 9,141 of my life...

As you're waiting for the fog to clear do you turn on the fog lights, do you turn on your brights, or maybe you're real daring and turn the lights completely off?

However you chose to wait for the fog to clear is your choice, but what makes you feel the safest? I kind of look at driving with your lights off is like running with scissors in both hands... You're only destined to trip and skewer yourself some place unfortunate like the kidneys, the eye, your upper lip, or most unfortunate the heart. How many times have we skewered ourselves in the heart? Maybe not with a pair of scissors intentionally, but maybe with how we treat ourselves. Do we wake up in the morning stretch, look in the mirror, and say "damn I can't wait to break my own heart today?"

I feel that lately to often I've "been breaking my own heart." Maybe not physically twisting and pulling and "breaking" my heart, but with the way I treat myself could be looked at and classified as "breaking my own hear." I feel that seeing myself one way and only pondering what I should, could, and want to become, but then laughing and mocking my own thoughts and blowing myself off. If we get mad when someone blows us off, why don't we get mad when we blow ourselves off?

You might ask, but how do I blow myself off, Adam? It's simple actually to blow oneself off. Do you ever tell yourself I'm going to do this, I'm going to live my life this way, or maybe even go to bed saying... "Tomorrow is going to be a new day"? Then we wake up, fall short and forget everything we just told ourselves the night before. IE "blowing oneself off"

We've all done it so don't be afraid to admit it to yourself that you've on occasion blown yourself off for something that you thought was better. I've done if for the last three years. How do I stop blowing myself off you might ask... The first step, as with most first steps... realizing you have a problem. Do you treat yourself with respect? Do you wake up and look in the mirror and ask, "What can I do today to become a better person?" Maybe it can start with just listening to what you have to say to yourself and stop blowing off that little voice inside that so many like to call a conscious. I used to think I didn't have a conscious until one day recently I realized that it wasn't that I didn't have a conscious, it was just that I was to busy blowing it off and doing whatever it was that I wanted to do.

So when you begin to have this self realization of blowing yourself off and that maybe you should listen to yourself, do you turn on the brights or the fog lights? What's the difference in using the brights over the fog lights? I'm not sure if you're aware of what happens when you turn on your brights in the fog but if you're not, you can't see much but a white cloud directly in front of you that you can't see through. So I believe that turning on the brights is almost like focusing on just an isolated problem. You're only seeing the problem that is directly in front of you, and you're not seeing the whole picture and the way out of your problem.

We're not focusing on the root of our problems when using our brights. Sure with the brights we can see really well for about five feet but what happens when we round the next corner and didn't happen to see the 12 reindeer pulling a red sleigh in the middle of the road? I'll tell you what happens, you have about 3 or 4 billion upset little kids (minus those of the Jewish and Jehovah Witness Faith who could care less of the accident). All though, we do have to focus on the problems that are immediately in front of us, we must see past those problems and see that we are greater than these problems and can get through them with "a little help with our fog lights."

When we turn off the brights and turn on the fog lights we're able to see the road and our problems that are directly in front of us, but we're also able to see the roots to our problems and the way past them. We are able to see with greater detail the two yellow lines and how to work our way through the fog that we may at one point drive until the fog clears. That's what this is about. Staying on course until you've cleared the fog. Just because you've cleared the fog doesn't mean the fog isn't going to come back but helps you see what lies past the fog. If we use our fog lights and constantly focus on getting through the fog we may indeed one day drive on a road where we see signs that say "welcome to the fogless road, a road that will never become foggy on you and you can drive without any impairment." Now that's the road I'm looking for.

I've been stuck driving in the fog on the belt line for the last few years but I've now decided to turn on my fog lights and look for my exit. The fog may still be around but I truly am looking for my exit. I'm pretty sure it's just up ahead somewhere on the right. When the fog clears some more I'm sure I wont miss it this time and I'll be just fine, but until then I'm going to drive with my fog lights on and look for the green sign on the right that reads "Exit 7". Exit seven you ask? Do you're own research... I know why I'm looking for exit seven!

For those of you who read this... I express my love, my gratefulness, my sincerity, my heart, and my passions to you... May we all one day "Realize why we're looking for Exit 7 and do it without blowing ourselves off amidst the fog.

No comments: