Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'D LOVE TO SLAY ME SOME DUFFY, AND DRINK ME SOME WINEHOUSE!!!

So let's be honest here... I'm really into music. Music of all kinds and all genres. Well all excluding that god awful sound that comes from the streets of Nashville, TN. Someone should have built a great big wall around that city to keep that "nails on a chalkboard" sound in. How can anyone really like country? Please someone answer it, anyone.

Well enough pissing about country that's not the reason behind this posting. The last month or more I've fallen in love with a genre of music to a degree that I never thought I could fall to. My one true love definitely falls with hip hop, and I'm not talking about the crap rap you here on your Power 98's, 106.5 The Beat's, 95 JamZ's, and your "Repeater 101.5" which I'm sure can be found in every FM signals reach. This radio stations absolutely bore me. It's almost like they pick 5 or 10 songs if that for the month and play them over and over and over and over and over and over and over... You get the point. My true hip hop love falls deep beneath the ground, seems why they call it underground... Some of it spills over on to Main Street but not to the level where you can hear it five times in an hour on the radio or on the radio at all. This isn't about hip hop so I need to move on. Just know that I'm trying to express this new love is a big thing for me to compare it to my love of hip hop.

The last month I've been engulfed with this genre. So much I created a new genre on my iPod for them all. I still haven't hammered down one name; I'm stuck between "awesome, fantastic, super, elegant, moving, etc...” you get the point. I'm not really making a new genre but I'm hooked.

I'm so hooked I've been buying all their CDs. That doesn't happen much anymore these days. I feel this strong will within to support their music because the ways these “Good Vibrations” reverberate off my ossicles. I couldn't bare the thought that one of them might quit doing what they're doing and go back to their day job.

This new love is for the female voice! Don't get me wrong nothing is ever better than a sexy female voice, but I've never been into like this before. I'm not talking about Brittany Spears and Christina Aguilera either!

Just to list a few of my new loves are:

Duffy
Amy Winehouse
Missy Higgins
Emily King
Sara Bareilles
Colbie Caillat
Tristan Prettyman
Adele
Clare Fader
Erin McKeown
Emiliana Torrini

There is a couple of handful of others too but these are just a few off the top of my head while I'm typing this. To these beautiful voices I bow my head in awe! I'm hooked! I'm serious, this doesn't happen. I haven't listened to hip hop in weeks because of these ladies. To some of you these ladies maybe nothing new but to those of you who haven't heard of them you're missing out. Duffy is my favorite of them all. I’m totally in love with her voice and her whole style. Her song “Stepping Stones” is amazing as well as “Warwick Avenue” and a list of other I’ll let you find yourself.

So my thoughts on all this are never leave a stone unturned because you never know what new love may be lying beneath. I'm so glad I didn't skip over Duffy... I owe my whole new passion to her song “Stepping Stones”

As always

P-Helps

6 comments:

Emo Henshaw said...

You would also LOVE Lenka, if you are liking this type of music! I am going to her concert tomorrow night.

My favorite song right now is "Lucky" by Colbie and Jason Mraz. I think you will like it if you are loving her.

Country Music is AMAZING! Hello Garth Brooks... you know you would be happy at one of his concerts. He is a legend. He can't hate talented artist.

Abby said...

1. Tamra is a washed-up wanna-be hot orange county housewife. And she's resentful.

2. Sara Bareilles is fantastic.

3. I had to Webster ossicles: a small bone or bony structure. So anatomical...

ash said...

i loooove emiliana torrini or HOWEVER her name is spelled. i am impressed phelps, i think this earns you a little more points in my book. you seem to be very intelligent and refined.

Anonymous said...

You should add the girl LENKA to your list. Without her that list is incomplete i'm sorry to inform you. And I now just noticed that Emo said the same thing I just wrote, soooooo great minds think alike obviously. Investigate her, you'll be pleased

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

I am so on the same page as you. those are pretty much faves over the past couple years. I am glad even dudes can appreciate the fine sound of such talented woman.

Brett and April said...

Oh you would have a blog Mr. Adam Phelps.


You are now officially added as our blog friend, congratulations.

:)

Hope you are doing well!!